Interview: Cinema of The Oppressed
We asked the project creator of Cinema of The Oppressed a few questions about the inspiration behind the project, the challenges and their insights in running a crowdfunding campaign. Here is what she had to say,
- Where did you get the original inspiration for your project?
I got the inspiration from my work as a social worker in Cairo and Jordan. I worked as an art educator in Palestinian camp named Jabal EL Zazif, I have seen how art can inspire people and it pulls them out into different perspective of life , also I was dwelling in depression myself as I was so lonely when I came here to Sydney, writing my story and making a film about it helped me to overcome depression and loneliness, and it connected me to the world again.
2. What was the hardest aspect about starting a project?
The hardest part would be outreaching and finding people around me that need this kind of art in their lives.
3. Why did you decide to crowdfund?
I decided to crowdfund as I wanted more people to know about Cinema of The Oppressed.
4. What does ultimate success look like for you and your project?
The ultimate success will be when more people say, “I was depressed now I can see my life from different perspective”
5. How are you keeping the momentum for your project going?
The momentum of the project is a slow process. The process of doing art that is impacting peoples lives directly is a very important and delicate process. I am getting word of our project in many ways and getting friends and family to spread the word as well. Every bit helps! You can support my project or spread the word as well here.
6. Why did you choose StartSomeGood as your partner?
I chose StartSomeGood as they really care about projects that could benefit and impact the community in a positive way.
7. What kind of support do you think that #changemakers in your community need?
Well, I think they need to network more. They need to connect and meet more people from their own community and perhaps from other communities as well.
8. What would be your one piece of advice for people who want to make a positive impact?
First believe in your ideas and keep working on them , no matter it seemed the doors are closed.
9. What are you enjoying the most about StartSomeGood?
The passion about the process!
You can help support this project today! Click here to donate and become a #changemaker.
Do you have an idea to create a better future for your community? YOU can start some good today! Click here: buff.ly/2yya6iv #crowdfund #socent